Italy is likely one of the international locations on this planet most affected by the covid-19 pandemic.  Nevertheless, hhopefully quickly Italy will overcome covid-19 and the time will come to evaluate how our worth chains have been redesigned and reshaped. We’re two younger Italian medical doctors, and there may be one factor that the pandemic has made us understand that we should now not take with no consideration: none of these affected might be billed on the finish of their sickness, on the finish of their sickness. aside from his contribution. to the system as taxpayers.
Regardless that we’ve not seen the top of the pandemic, we must always already begin planning the best way to protect the general public nature of our healthcare system. What’s presently occurring to the Italian healthcare system and what is going to occur afterwards?  The Nationwide Well being Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale, SSN) created in 1978 has its roots within the precept of universality of entry, fairness and solidarity which is hailed by the World Well being Group in its race in the direction of common well being protection for all. Italy’s well being spending represents round 8.8% of its GDP, in step with the typical for OECD international locations, however behind all different Western European international locations.  The identical is true when one considers that Italy’s share of public well being spending has fallen significantly in comparison with Western European international locations, with a research estimating a discount of 37 billion over the previous ten years. [3,4]
We have to fund and appropriately reorganize our system construction to arrange for the brand new world well being challenges that can come up within the years to come back.  With out forgetting the potential for a brand new covid-19 pandemic, we should remember that local weather change is probably the most severe menace to long-term well being. The results of the local weather emergency are already hitting Italy. Critical heat-related results on day by day mortality have an effect on the inhabitants, in addition to the impression of publicity to air air pollution.  Excessive occasions may take an analogous type of wave that overwhelmed our hospitals in a short while as covid-19 did, threatening the resilience of the healthcare system to reply quickly to the well being wants of the inhabitants.
The preparation course of for COP-26 is a particularly necessary time to realize momentum and get ideas on these points, although the convention has been postponed till 2021 because of the pandemic. Italy is a number associate with the UK within the upcoming local weather negotiations, a rustic whose nationwide well being service has been a supply of inspiration for structuring that of Italy. Well being authorities now have the chance and the chance to handle each the sustainability of the nationwide well being service whereas making an allowance for the environmental and climatic challenges that already weigh closely on folks’s well being and can proceed to take action more and more. extra within the years to come back.
The Italian nationwide well being service and well being employees should begin working as quickly as doable as a result of our era must proceed the political wrestle to make sure public, common and equal entry to well being for all within the years to come back.
Samantha pegoraro, Local weather and Well being Coordinator, Italian Local weather Community, Pisa, Italy.
Stefano Guicciardi, Division of Well being, Bologna Native Well being Authorities Unit, Bologna, Italy.
Competing pursuits: None declared
(1) COVID-19 working group of the Dipartimento Malattie Infettive e Servizio di Informatica, Istituto Superiore di Sanità. COVID-19 epidemic, Aggiornamento nazionale: April 23, 2020 https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Bollettino-sorveglianza-integrata-COVID-19_23-aprile-2020.pdf
(2) Remuzzi A, Remuzzi G. COVID-19 and Italy: what subsequent ?. Lancet. 2020; (revealed on-line 12 March) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30627-9
(3) OECD Well being Statistics 2019. Final up to date November 15, 2019. Out there at: www.oecd.org/els/healthsystems/health-data.htm. Final admission: April 7, 2020.
(4) Osservatorio GIMBE report n. 7/2019. Il definanziamento 2010-2019 del Servizio Sanitario Nazionale. Fondazione GIMBE: Bologna, September 2019. Accessible to: www.gimbe.org/definanziamento-SSN. Ultimo entry: April 24, 2020.
(5) World Well being Group. Ten threats to world well being in 2019 [Available from: https://www.who.int/emergencies/ten-threats-to-global-health-in-2019.]
(6) World Well being Group and United Nations. (2018). Local weather change and well being nation profile: Italy. World Well being Group. https://apps.who.int/iris/deal with/10665/260380. License: CC BY-NCSA 3.0 IGO